BOTSWADI PARENT GUIDANCE
- WHAT DOES BOTSWADI MEAN?
- Botswadi is the Tswana word meaning: “To be a parent.”
- WHY THIS PROGRAMME?
- Parents have a great need for understanding and guidance in respect of their parental role. The fact that some of these parents are seperated from their children for a long periods of time, due to work, causes considerable stress for these parents and there children.
- HOW DOES THE PROGRAMME WORK?
- Since all parents share the same hopes and fears regarding their children they can assist and support one another. The Botswadi programme is presented to groups of 5 - 12 parents at a time. It comprises 7 chapters, discussed in 7 sessions, with the aid of illustrated workbooks. Programme material is available in both English and Afrikaans.
- CONTENTS OF THE PROGRAMME
- Balanced care and education entails:
- Physical care.
- Loving care.
- Learning opportunities.
- Developing a conscience.
Apart from the introductory chapters which discuss responsible parenting, these four “legs” are discussed in depth with the aid of illustrations in the workbook.
- IS THIS FOR ME?
- Groups may be formed anywhere in the community or at a workplace eg. a hospital, an old age home, school or farm where there are parents.
- HOW IS A HIGH STANDARD MAINTAINED?
- The SAVF Parent Guidance Action controls and co-ordinates the programme. Only registered groupleaders, who havr completed the training programme, may present the programme. Groupleaders report back to the SAVF by forwarding a completes register and evaluation, whereupon certificates will be issued to the members
- WHAT DOES THE TRAINING COMPRISE?
- Training will help the group-leader:
- To conduct a group meeting.
- To understand the content of the programme.
- To understand cultural differences.
- To build a relationship of trust within the group.
- To convey the meaning to the group.
- The course takes 3-6 hours
- Training and registration for group-leaders: R100. Travelling cost if presented outside Pretoria. Group-members: R10 per parent.
The Botswadi Programme was compiled and tested by the Botswadi Committee of the Parent Guidance Action of the SAVF. The contents of the programme are based on research done by Dr Daleen Edwards of the Department of Education, Vista University. © Copyright 2009